Monday, July 4, 2011

Babies, Young and Old..

When I was twelve I learned that babies are not like dolls that you can play with and then toss aside when you are “through.” My baby sister was born February 27, 1957 and I had the opportunity to “practice” on a real baby while taking care of her. Mama didn’t breast feed any of her babies. In those days it had become popular to make up “formula” by stirring dark corn syrup into evaporated milk, pour it into bottles and capping them with the nipples turned inside, and sterilize six or eight bottles at one time in a large kettle. I thought that was the way everyone fed babies.
I also watched the process of diapering her and was thrilled when I graduated from watching Mama do it to diapering her all by myself. It was a while before Mama trusted me with the great big safety pins, but I don’t think I ever stuck Diane. I stuck my fingers a few times.
My favorite thing was rocking her while feeding her a bottle. It seemed like that baby could swallow a whole (eight ounce) bottle of milk in a few gulps, lose most of it with the burp (all over me), and then still desire more. It never occurred to me that the rocking might have negatively affected her. All I knew was it was fun to rock her, sing to her, tickle and tease her, and stroll her around town, showing her off. To me, she was a fun baby, a live doll.
I did learn, little by little, that she was and is a person with her own personality, thoughts, and desires. She was (and is) a Self. We are all Selves. We think about our Self more than anything else. Even when we’re thinking about another person, usually we are thinking in relation to our Self, how that person affects Me.
Jesus said “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you…” It goes against our nature to follow through with that command, but it can be done. We have to practice. It isn’t easy. It requires mentally putting yourSelf in the “place” or situation of the other Self. When it comes to little baby Selves or toddler Selves, what I want may be opposite of what that little Self wants.
I’ve spent a few days in Oregon with my children. I go home tomorrow. I have so enjoyed my ninth grandchild, Martyn Lyle Loehrke. He is a wonderful, healthy, happy baby, looking out of his little Self with wide eyes, viewing the world with wonder and delight. He is six months old. Right now he smiles a lot and tries out all different sounds, reaches out and grabs anything he sees. You can see in his eyes he would like to move himSelf across the room to new adventures. Yes, he’s a Self, all right just like the rest of us. For HimSelf, he will have to eventually come to terms with all the things Jesus has said, and decide whether or not he will walk with the Lord.  Each Self has to make the choice of the path.
From My point of view, it surely is good to walk with the Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment